Tuesday, September 08, 2009


  1. The illness I live with is: Migraine disease
  2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2009
  3. But I had symptoms since:2001
  4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: learning how to say no, I cant be in 2 places at one time, nor can my schedule be packed full. I have to take some "me time"
  5. Most people assume: that if I am smiling I am feeling fine, no I am just good at faking it, so you don't ask.
  6. The hardest part about mornings is: nothing, I sleep in the mornings :)
  7. My favorite medical TV show is: Eleventh Hour and House
  8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my yahoo toolbar
  9. The hardest part about nights is: my restless leg syndrome
  10. Each day I take: 3 Topamax, 10 sprays of Migra Spray and 2 capfuls of a liquid multi-vitamin
  11. Regarding alternative treatments I: use meditation & aromatherapy
  12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: I wish I didn't have to chose, but visible would be my choice.
  13. Regarding working and career: I am still lucky enough to to be able to work every day. My career is very important to me.
  14. People would be surprised to know: I used to refuse to take medication. I hated to even take a Tylenol for a headache.
  15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: that I do have to set limits for myself
  16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: I am learning to write and express myself through my blog. Hopefully I will be able to do something more in the future.
  17. The commercials about my illness: there are commercials? I hate commercials
  18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: socially drinking
  19. It was really hard to have to give up: a non set sleep schedule. I liked being able to go to bed when I wanted and sleep in how ever long I wanted too, now it is important that I go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time.
  20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: learning as much as I can about migraines.
  21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: I would plan my normal day sometime in the future so I could actually plan something and know 100% that I was going to be migraine free.
  22. My illness has taught me: do what you can on the good days and try to not feel guilty about what you left on the bad days
  23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: When I tell people that I have a migraine and they offer me a Tylenol, please don't, it doesn't help my migraine and just reminds me that I have an incurable disease.
  24. But I love it when people: ask me about my doctor's appointments
  25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: My disabling chronic illness is more real than your imaginary medical expertise. - You Don't Look Sick
  26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: even when you feel like you are at your wits end, or you feel like you have lost all hope, there is lots of web support and to keep the faith.
  27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: the inaccurate or out of date information on the Internet about migraines.
  28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: my husband brushes my hair to ease my pain and to relax me
  29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: we need more people aware that just because you can't see someone physically ill, doesn't mean they aren't in pain.
  30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: that there is hope and that together we can make a difference.
You can find out more about National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week and the 5-day free virtual conference with 20 speakers Sept 14-18, 2009 at www.invisibleillness.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment