Thursday, September 10, 2009


I am really thinking about trying to start some type of meditation and relaxation to help with my migraines. I have bought the Soundscape Cd's from Wal-mart, tried to breathe deep and think of beaches and warm fuzzy thoughts, but that usually gets me a whole 10 seconds before my brain will start making to do lists, thinking of what I want to wear tomorrow to work, or how many piles of laundry I am going to need to do this weekend. So yeah, needless to say that just isn't working for me. I tried to search for some blogs that would be able to help give me some techniques to work with but I have not have any luck so far. I will keep searching though. I also thought about hitting the book store this weekend, maybe there is a meditation for dummies out there. Suggestions are welcome!


I also thought about doing some yoga, but I am not limber at all. Some of those poses just scare me. I haven't been able to put my leg behind my head since I was three, but I bet my husband would enjoy watching me try. And I am sure the anticipation of success will just make him eager as a teenage virgin. Most of the websites that I did research about yoga said that I needed to take a yoga for beginners class; then I could go home and do the yoga on my own. Well see I would rather fall on my ass in the comfort of my own home without anyone watching me. Then when I feel like I have had some practice, and I don't feel like I am a total yoga noob I will go to a class. I will report back later with my with how things are going.


4 Comments:

  1. Diana Lee said...
    Jon Kabat-Zinn's book Full Catastrophe Living and CD Mindfulness for Beginners are excellent places to start with mindfulness meditation.

    When you're ready to explore more resources, check out the Amazon store on my blog for additional recommendations.

    Yoga can be very, very simple. It's really all about mindfulness and gently moving your body, not crazy hard positions. I recommend you try to find a yoga class for relaxation or specifically for people with chronic pain.

    Diana
    Rae said...
    I found your blog through your posting for chronic invisible illness. You have done an excellent job at describing your situation. I have also posted on the site as well. I am going to go back an read through your older posts. You have a well written blog. Thanks for sharing your story. Rae:)
    WinnyNinny PooPoo said...
    I took biofeedback training. I'm actually pretty good at it & my insurance actually paid for it! It helps with day to day stress, but unfortunately I can't penetrate the really bad pain using it. I didn't even have to take the full course and graduated early. It's meditation in a way that is mindful of your body, somewhat how Diana Lee describes yoga without contortions.
    Susanne Miller said...
    Hey I just wanted to congratulate you on trying to get rid of your migraines without medication.

    As for meditation for me it works best when it's very simple and easy.

    1. Breath in through your nose
    2. Out through your mouth
    3. Count each breath

    You're suppose to get to the point where it's just natural and easy to do without you conciously thinking about it.

    Good luck, tell me how it goes!

Post a Comment