Friday, September 04, 2009


This Friday is a little different because I am discussing someone who has been part of my migraine support system,so I want to write about her blog and how much she has been a factor in my life over the years.

This weeks featured blog is Pink Pearl Girl's Migraine World for a number of different reasons. Pam is my ex-step mom, but the ex part is still hard for me to say. Pam blogs about current news events with migraines and medications. She is an advocate for migraine and stroke. She has suffered from Migraines since she was a teenager,and unfortunately has Fibromyalgia and Raynaud's disease as well.

Pam was there for me in so many ways when I was growing up through my teenage years. She was always there to listen to me when I had a problem that I didn't know how to talk to with my dad. One situation particularly comes to mind, birth control pills for the sexually active teenager..need I say more. We sat down and discussed the situation to my dad and she even called and made my first appointment with her OBGYN.

My dad and her lived several hours away from where I lived with my grandparents in the beginning of their relationship, so I would only visit occasionally through out the school year and a few weeks during the summer, but I can always remember she would have fun stuff for us to do. She took me to get my hair cut one time and I got the best head massage with my hair wash that I haven't been able to duplicate since. She had a Sega game system that I would play all weekend, I loved that sonic the hedgehog. Pam really never tried to be my "mother", but I sure respected her like one. I'm sure I was the typical teenager and didn't show it like I should have. I also remember being included and accepted into her family like a daughter.

I remember being so excited when I got the news that her and my dad would be moving to the same town that I lived in. I loved her so much by then. I really wanted to move in with them, but the ever so controlling grandparents would not have anything to do with that. My weekends were heavily spent with her and...my dad.

I can also remember her being in a lot of pain from her migraines.
I remember having to drive her to the hospital one night because she had a really bad migraine. She needed a shot.(Now that I am writing this and remembering this stuff, I wonder what that shot was?) I really tried to understand, but it was hard. I didn't want her to be sick. I wanted her to feel good, so we could go do stuff. I was a teenage girl. I wanted to go shopping. I wanted to talk. I didn't want to hang out with my dad, he was boring. He wanted to watch barf (our code word for golf) on TV and drink his scotch. I also remembering having to defend her against other family members who just didn't want to understand her disease. I would not allow anyone to talk about her in front of me. People can be cruel when they think their shit doesn't stink and they live in a glass house.

I went off to college, she, my dad, and brother(love you Sammy) moved away, but we still kept in contact for a few years, until I went through a very rough patch in my life and lost all contact with her and my dad. I later found out that she and my dad got a divorce.

I joined a migraine yahoo group and low and behold I found her back in my life again. I was really happy because I knew if anyone could help me figure out what was going on with my head pain she was the one. Then when I had to go to the hospital for my first status migraine. I had her call me because I was so scared and nervous.


So, In case I didn't say it as a kid, or I haven't said it often enough lately...

THANK YOU PAM!







1 Comment:

  1. Pam said...
    Nicki!!
    This is the coolest!!! Thanks so much! After being offline for a few weeks because of computer problems, this was awesome to come back to.
    (BTW, that shot was Demerol.)
    I love you!
    Pam

Post a Comment